Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Re: [epilepsy] Getting SSDI, and having children who are eligible.

 

Hi Big John,

Welcome to our group.

That is great that you are in school and want to be a CPA.

I just retired from 25 years of being a home health aid.
I've had EP for 47 years; been on dilantin and phenabarb for
over 20 years.

Good luck in school. Is Kaplan College close to you?

Millie

> I get SSDI, and have a 2year old daughter, she collects under mine. My EP,
> severe enough that I can't work, and my wife acts as my payee. I am here
> in NY. New York is one the hardest states to get SSDI, I fought for 2
> years, and got it. It takes time, but yes, if it severe enough you can get
> it, and your children too. I hired a lawyer, and even he thought I
> wouldn't, but when push came to shove I did.
> I grew up, in a house with alot of fighting and I was always the
> protector, My parents beat on each other and I protected my mother and
> sister, I had #3 grand mal seziures in a row, due to tension, I was told
> they are due to stress. That night they woke me with a smelling salt and I
> punched and literally "knocked-out" an ambulance attendant. I apologized,
> but I don't think he realized, that waking me after a seziure, is not a
> good thing. People with EP, don't mean what they do, its an Involuntary
> Muscle reaction.It took 3 marraiges, and a whole lotof putting my wives
> through hell, to find my angel who was /is diabetic, and we take care of
> each other.
> When a pereson has a seziure, people have the tendency to mistreat them,
> especially a kid. I read about the kids and having them in school, the
> children in his/her class should be warned that it happens, so that they
> understand, that its not something that they mean to do. I call it the
> "Frankenstien" treatment, another words people don't quite understand,
> that people with EP, are normal, we are wired differently.
> I as a matter of fact, am actually now since I can't work am attending
> Kaplan college, I want to be a CPA, and I would also like to be a advocate
> for people with EP, since most neurologists have never seen a seziure, and
> want to know what they look like. I feel, that maybe I can tell them a
> basic description of the aura before, and the "cloudiness" after,
> basically same thing a stroke victim goes through, ask some one who has a
> stroke, they can describe all this, because its basically the same. With
> me I can't shut off my brain and relax, its impossible.
>
>

__._,_.___
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Love cars? Check out the

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Discover doing more

for your family

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Bi-polar disorder

Find support

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment