Friday, July 31, 2009

Re: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.

I can understand the bus & bike thing. Right now I am so relieved when my medical van rides come on time. I have to say this: "I am grateful that I ran five to ten miles a day through high school.
I just felt grateful because sometimes stuck immobile for days weeks I am really so glad for that love of running. Sometimes I can think & feEl wind in my hair, pushing to get to the next water whole while my lab runs big laps around me. Jumpin in the water hole with my beloved Sambo... How did you run so far with little me my friend, without one seizure... Only had 'em at home near the stairs...Mom gave you meds twice a day. All the neighbors waited for your Visit.
22 years old, you beat all them dogs by years...You were my angel. Li'l Black Sambo~THANX
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: TIMOTHY BALDWIN <tbb1@prodigy.net>

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:10:23
To: <epilepsy@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.


Tammy,
   I'm sorry you were having so many seizures before your surgery, but my doctor and the meds. he put me since '80 have always kept at once in 3-4 wks. or what I thought was close to being controlled. I drove because of my not being aware if they were due to a seizure, but I wasn't fully aware of them. And felt at home in body shops. Since being on lacosamide since 6/08 with a different doctor, I still have one per 5-12 wks.. In Maryland 26wks. is required to legally drive. But, I'm thinking of buying a new one because I'm sick and tired of taking the bus since '98, and my public life having dropped all the way down.
Tim B.       

--- On Fri, 7/31/09, uniquepnk tds.net <Uniquepnk@tds.net> wrote:


From: uniquepnk tds.net <Uniquepnk@tds.net>
Subject: Re: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.
To: epilepsy@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 9:31 PM


 



Tim,

I had the surgery and I am glad I had it done, but it did not stop the
seizures completely. I don't see why you were driving if you were still
having seizures after the surgery. I went 9 months and thought I would get
to drive too, but then they started back. As long as there is a chance I am
going to have seizures I will not consider driving, even as much as I wanted
to years ago. It doesn't mean as much to me anymore, so as long as I am safe
and everybody around me, that is all that matters. I am not having 25
seizures a month, but since it is not near that many I am very happy about
having the surgery.I am sorry it did not stop yours or mine completely, but
that is just the way things are. Take care.

Tammy

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM, TIMOTHY BALDWIN <tbb1@prodigy. net> wrote:

>
>
> Everyone,
> Its looks like allot of people have commented about how successful their
> operations were, that's different than me. In '96 my l. temporal lobe was
> mostly removed, before the surgery I was aware of a seizure occurring every
> 3-4 weeks, Others probably happened that I knew nothing of. After my
> unsuccessful surgery my seizure rate didn't change, and I continued
> to take the same amount of medicines. In '74 I had my first few seizure and
> was diagnosed. I continued to drive and totaled my five cars each
> were repaired at least as many times as possible. In '98 I finally quit
> driving I gave up with my ridicules good luck, my crashes were always alone
> without another car involved and the police always assumed that I'd fallen
> asleep. If someone else was involved who saw that my eyes were open and the
> cop may write that the accident was due to a seizure, If people in that
> car saw lawyers could look at my past medical records and decide that I
> shouldn't have been driving in the first place...
> Tim B.
>
> --- On Thu, 7/30/09, sept161999@aol. com <sept161999% 40aol.com> <
> sept161999@aol. com <sept161999% 40aol.com> > wrote:
>
> From: sept161999@aol. com <sept161999% 40aol.com> <sept161999@aol. com<sept161999% 40aol.com>
> >
> Subject: Re: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.
> To: epilepsy@yahoogroup s.com <epilepsy%40yahoogr oups.com>
> Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 7:41 PM
>
>
>
> congrats.
> my doctors asked me before they discharged me from the hospital a few days
> after the surgery if theres anything they could do.
> i said "could you write me prescriptions for my medications" ?
> they looked at me like i was crazy.
> i guess they never saw someone who wanted medication even after surgery
> talk with your dr.
> hope everything goes good
> Brian
>
> In a message dated 7/30/2009 6:20:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> tristinspike26@ yahoo.com writes:
>
> Brian,
> Oh, I already had the surgery (Nov 12, 08). It was a cinch! I know that
> surgery isn't a guarantee, but it's worked so far. You mentioned that I
> shouldn't think of it as a way to get off of my meds. Although I'm still on
>
> extreme dosages, I do plan to talk my neuro into decreasing my dosages at
> my next visit. I know I'll probably never be fully "sober," (lol) but I do
> think I could cut back a few hundered mg.
>
> Tristin :)
>
> --- On Thu, 7/30/09,_sept161999@ aol.sep_ (mailto:sept161999@ aol. com)
> <_sept161999@ aol.sep_ (mailto:sept161999@ aol. com) > wrote:
>
> From:_sept161999@ aol.sep_ (mailto:sept161999@ aol. com)
> <_sept161999@ aol.sep_ (mailto:sept161999@ aol. com) >
> Subject: Re: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.
> To:_epilepsy@yahoogrou pepile_ (mailto:epilepsy@ yahoogroup s.com)
> Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 9:09 AM
>
> it's true that surgery is not for everyone but looking into it might not
>
> hurt. I had surgery. before surgery i would have an average 50 seizures
> per
>
> day from age 2 to age 29. now after surgery ive been seizure free a little
>
> more then 9 in a half years. Just remember if you want to have it done do
> a
>
> lot of homework into what you must do(testing) how things would be done.
>
> get references on doctors. BUT REMEMBER SURGERY IS NOT A GUARANTEE IT WILL
>
> STOP OR EVEN CONTROL SEIZURES. and also you might have to stay on
> medication
>
> so dont think of surgery as a way to also being able to stop medications.
>
> Brian
>
> In a message dated 7/30/2009 5:54:22 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>
> tristinspike26@ yahoo.com writes:
>
> Well Birdman,
>
> I understand that surgery isn't always perfect, and it doesn't work for
>
> everyone. But I can't criticize it. It's worked for me, so far. I'm 8
>
> months seizure-free thanks to a left temporal lobectomy. I've waited a
> long
>
> time to get my driver's license, and driving I'm gonna do. I know there's
>
> the possibility of having another seizure, and I know to take precautions
>
> if/when I start feeling strange. I have to take advantage of this time
>
> because it may not last for long.
>
> Tristin :)
>
> --- On Thu, 7/30/09, korky106_a <_korky106_a@ yahoo.kor_
>
> (mailto:korky106_ (mailto:korky1> wrote:
>
> From: korky106_a <_korky106_a@ yahoo.kor_ (mailto:korky106__korky106_ a@y>
>
> Subject: [epilepsy] Re: brain surgery and driving.
>
> To:_epilepsy@yahoogrou pepile_ (mailto:epilepsy@ To:_epilepsy@yaho
>
> Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 1:56 AM
>
> I am well aware the desire for people to drive- I think it may be more for
>
> a person with seizures. i am 58- I have had seizures since I was 13- I was
>
> bit by a mosquito and given encephalitis- my brain became infected-
>
> swelled up to the point I went into a coma for 18 hrs. The drs did not
> expect me
>
> to come out of it and live. I have brain damage because of this and
>
> seizures- all kinds. I have had a right temporal lobectomy to remove what
> they
>
> thought was the damaged cells and take away my seizures. Well some time
> went
>
> by without seizures- I got my license and- away I drove feeling GREAT-
> well
>
> i have totalled my Honda Accord because I had a seizure- surgery is NOT
>
> always perfect- I found this out when I totaled my Taurus as a result of a
>
> seizure accident. OKEASE reconsider driving- I will NEVER try driving
> again. I
>
> am fortunate to be alive and to have not hurt anyone as a result of my
>
> driving- I can adjust to not driving- I could
>
> NEVER adjust to hurting a person because I chose to drive when I
>
> shouldn't- THINK TWICE- Thanks- Birdman--- In epilepsy@yahoogroup s.com,
>
> "tristinspike26" <tristinspike26@ ...> wrote:
>
> >
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Tomorrow I'm kind of going to share my epilepsy surgery testimony with
>
> my friend's (Lisa's) neurologist. I'm totally tickled that she wants me to
>
> talk to her neurologist and tell him what surgery did for me. We're trying
>
> to get her referred to the Medical College of Georgia; where I had my
>
> surgery. Surgery worked so far for me. I hope and pray that my friend,
> Lisa,
>
> turns out to be a good candidate. Maybe surgery will work for her too. It
> makes
>
> me feel good knowing that my struggle with epilepsy and my surgery might
>
> inspire someone else (Lisa). Since I got my driver's license (for the past
>
> month) I've been driving Lisa around and helping her get to where she
> needs
>
> to go. I've been in her shoes. I know what it's like. It's just my way of
>
> paying it forward.
>
> >
>
> > Tristin :)
>
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> ************ **Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
>
> School
>
> (_http://pr.atwola._ (http://pr.atwola. /) com/promoclk/ 100126575x122310
>
> 5306x1201716871/ aol?redir= http:%2F% 2Faltfarm. mediaplex. com%2Fad%
> 2Fck%2F12309% 2D81939%2D1629% 2D9)
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> ************ **Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
> School
> (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122310 5306x1201716871/
> aol?redir= http:%2F% 2Faltfarm. mediaplex. com%2Fad% 2Fck%2F12309%
> 2D81939%2D1629% 2D9)
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
















[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them. This is especially important if you are on digest. This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Yahoo! Groups Links



------------------------------------

Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them. This is especially important if you are on digest. This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epilepsy/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epilepsy/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:epilepsy-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:epilepsy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
epilepsy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment