Thursday, July 30, 2009

Re: [epilepsy] My history of Epilepsy

 

Pastor Groth,

Welcome to the group. I have complex partial seizures, which are the result
of a head injury 40 years ago when I was a baby. I used to not be able to
tell anybody when I had a seizure, but that is something I can do most of
the time now. I take Keppra and Neurontin for my seizures, but they are not
controlled. Stress and worrying about things seems to cause me to have the
ones I have now. I had surgery on the left temporal lobe in 2004, but after
about 9 months they started back again. They aren't as bad as they used to
be, but I still have them often enough to know about.I hope your VNS
helps.Take care and write anytime. If you need anything, write anytime.

Tammy

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Pastor Joseph Groth <
pastorjwgroth@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks for letting me join. I'm Joseph and I'm 46. I've had Epilepsy
> since I was just 2 years old(1965). I was doing alright until I hit my
> 20's.. I began having unrecognized seizures. I never have a warning sign of
> a seizure coming on. I had a complex/negastic type seizure
> in 1983. I found out later that I had became immuned to phenobarbital that
> I had taken since the epilepsy started. I was taken off medicine for 5 years
> to clear my system. In 1988, I had some motor and grandmal seizures. And was
> put back on medicine Dilatin.
> For the next 5 years I was doing alright, having a couple seizures a month.
> In 1993, I started having daily seizures on the job and at home. I lost my
> job and was put on disability. This put me in a very deep depression,
> causing more seizures to occur. By 1998, I was having as many as 7 seizures
> a day. I opted for brain surgery. It took 3+ years of medical testing before
> I could get the surgery. On October 31, 2001 I had the 5 hour brain surgery.
> Was put on a 2 year recovery period and remained on medicine. I went 4 1/2
> years seizure free. I had a stroke in Dec. 2005 which caused my seizures to
> return. I went through having the seizures more often again. In May 2008, I
> had a 2nd surgery. This time I chose the VNS surgery. VNS stands for Vegus
> Nerve Stimulator. I had the surgery May 15th 2008 and on June 2nd 2008 My
> VNS was activated. It is set to activate in every 3minutes for 30 second
> intervals. When a seizure is about to take place, the stimulator
> activates and stops the seizure immediately. I wear a magnet on my wrist as
> a back up device. I have had only 6 seizures squeak through since my
> stimulator was activated. My wife has been able to swipe the magnet over the
> stimulator when she noticed the seizure and stop the seizure immediately.
> Since May 31st 2008, I have not been in the hospital.
> This has reduced a lot of stress of me and my wife. I'm partially paralyzed
> from a colon surgery I had in 2004 and walk with 2 canes.
> I also use a power chair for places that require a lot of standing or
> walking. This is a bit stressful, but easier to deal with now that my
> seizures can be controled. I take Keppra 750mg 4 a day and Lamictal 100mg 4
> a day. I must say that the Lord works in mysterious
> ways. Every time I have a medical problem He has been there to help me
> every time. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
> God Bless!!!!
> Pastor Joseph Groth
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment