Saturday, October 31, 2009

[epilepsy] Re: exposure for epilepsy

 

Hi Julie,

I reread what I said, I never used the word admitted. But my social life has so much to do with both playing tennis and platform tennis! Very often play with people I've never met before. We warm up and before we begin a match I explain to them to understand my memory is so poor and that I'm not purposely saying the wrong score or asking the score again and again trying to break his or their concentration on the match. My memory is that bad! So explain why my memory is so bad? So the meds and epilepsy are mentioned. Simply for those reasons. Or before I began driving again the subject before or maybe after matches a conversation is brought up about where I play, do you play here or there ect... Since I couldn't drive to places except on bicycle, I explain I couldn't and why? So epilepsy comes up again? They might ask me about it but then people understand me and the subject isn't brought up again. Meeting new players constantly comes to where I played in past years ect... so not driving 20 years limited me so so much more than others. That's why my epilepsy so often comes up at what is my social life is! As I'm driving more and more as time goes on, epilepsy will only come up because of my very poor memory, that way they understand it and don't mind me always forgetting the score! One great guy I played with recently who I've known for years, I said to him before a match against players I didn't know, "what should our strategy be this match". His response to me was "you hit the winners, I will remember the score"! That made my day to keep a smile on my face! That always makes me laugh when I think of that! Take care, keep a smile on your face!

Steve

--- In epilepsy@yahoogroups.com, Julie Hope <epilepsyhealth@...> wrote:
>
> When we say admitting to having it, was wondering what that meant. I personally don't go out announcing it to
> everyone I meet, but if someone happens to see me not feeling well or something and happens to ask I never
> hide it.
> During my working years I had a participant I cared for 30yr old + and according to Dr. brain span of 1 half
> year. He would be quite content to just sit and play in his sand box, or give him a certain cereal box or
> empty milk container and he was in his glory. Never spoke, yet and immediately knew if you told him not to
> touch something. Well you put newer staff in front of him it was so cute...smart as a whip as down went the
> cardboard box and spent all his time doing everything she told him not to touch etc, then sit there with the
> biggest grin on his face. Now if that isn't smart tell me what is. There were many like that one that liked
> puzzles and would have them done before you even started. Another put a guitar in his hand and he could make
> unbelievable music for the group.
> Thought I was the only one in our tiny country town here until my hubby pointed out one on a Sunday as he
> walked down main street coming home from church. All dressed in a suit and tie and yet would of never been
> able to pick out of crowd, and told he had epilepsy all his life and thought mine was bad!! ouch after I heard
> his story.
> When I look at some of the videos of GM on here, they don't come close to what I did so could not even begin
> to imagine what this man was going.
> Julie
> Julie Hope
> epilepsyhealth@...
> http://www.2betrhealth.com
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve" <stephenpales@...>
> To: <epilepsy@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:28 AM
> Subject: [epilepsy] Re: exposure for epilepsy
>
>
> Hey, you mention Nathan Milstein having epilepsy. I think more about Presient James Madison who had epilepsy
> during his years before becoming President (talk about little guys, smile)! Talk about a stressful job, and
> during the civil war!
>
> Hey, I've never felt embarassed having epilepsy! Everybody I know knows I have epilepsy, why hide it? If
> they want to know me, why hide it? Its part of me! To me people always seem interested in understanding and
> learning about it. Its interesting to me how many people I talk with say they know somebody who has epilepsy.
> I tell them about this group, how to find it. I give them my email address in case they would enjoy getting
> in touch.
>
> You mention a brain devastated disease. Well, the electrical shocks zapped in me through my life from
> seizures has devastated my left temporal lobe, it actually shrunk it in size as that side of my brain is very
> weak, pretty useless as compared to the right temporal lobe. Wouldn't you say that has devastated my left
> side of my brain? That was fully shown when I had a WADA test! Not only does an MRI show the smaller left
> temporal lobe. But the WADA test specifically each side of the brain shows how devastated the left side is!
> Whats to feel embarassed about? So yes, my brain on my left side is brain devastated! That's why the use of
> my brain went across to peace on the right side where their is more peace and a safer area to live (big
> smile)! Living in electrical war wasen't fun for my brain I'm sure. Sort of like my ancestors traveling
> across the pond for peace in the United States ( big smile).
>
> Hey, we all have to live our lives and smile, if not, then what! Believe me, I know what that feels like, boy
> do I know that feeling! Deep depression isn't fun to go through, even small depression feelings that come and
> go! Take care, keep a smile on your face!
>
> Steve
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --- In epilepsy@yahoogroups.com, "SueW" <gswidemark@> wrote:
> >
> > For people with or know someone with EpiAfter watching the videos which were shared here and which stated
> > that 50 million people have epilepsy, I ask - do all 50 million want to be represented as having a
> > "terminal" "brain devastating" disease? May I remind that those who suffer that type of seizure are a very
> > small percentage and most folks with a seizure disorder are normal to high achievers? Many high IQ folks
> > also....
> >
> > For example: Nathen Milstein who was one of the world's greatest violinists and so forth.
> >
> > No wonder so many are hesitant to admit having it. With that type of publicity, who wants to be thus
> > branded... :( How about some REAL awareness of epilepsy... like... your neighbor who looks totally "normal"
> > may actually have it?
> >
> > Sue
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply
> to them. This is especially important if you are on digest. This not only helps out the list owner but, it
> makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Kids, family & home

Join the discussion

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover auto groups

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment