Thursday, October 29, 2009

Re: [epilepsy] Re: The "other side's response" to that 60 Minutes story

 

Steve,

When I was working for the county--no one said anything about not
being insured-- but as soon as I quit -- there was no one and I mean one
would talk to me about insurance. One gave me the name of a
Christian group in Pa where when I joined (I don't recall that it cost)
I would get a bill every month for $50 with a name and I would send
$50 to that name.

My daughter who was trained by Prudential didn't think much of it--
but it was the only thing available

During that time I had a breast________ operation(right now I don't
recall the name) that cost $1,000 . I sent that in and I got $1,000
in $50 dollar checks for $1,000. Different people sent me $50.
Mine was $50 because I was single. For a family it was double or more.
Sometimes they would write and wish me well and say they were
praying for me.

It was interesting to send checks to people I didn't know. It always gave
what the medical reason was. It was also interesting to get checks in
the mail from people I didn't know.

The only other thing that was available was state insurance for over
$300 a month. I did this for about a year until 6 months before I
was 65 when I could apply for Medicare and I didn't have to
say you have EP or anything else. That was 15 years ago. I don't
know how it is now.

Millie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve" <stephenpales@yahoo.com>
To: <epilepsy@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:31 AM
Subject: [epilepsy] Re: The "other side's response" to that 60 Minutes story

>I found it extremely interesting hearing a variety of views on the subject!
>In all reality health insurance is something we all need to be concerned
>with. People that can work might have insurance like myself, but if I lose
>my job I will then have to deal with no insurance and a preexisting
>condition. Then what? Its on my mind all the time, to say the least.
>Hearing the different views here on this subject I thank every for sharing.
>I really could use support hear concerning epilepsy and how national health
>care would affect me. I'm extremely ignorant about it. In allot of ways
>this subject is something that we all do need to talk about. People on
>disability are covered but people having only insurance through work are
>covered while still working at their current job. BUT, if a person is
>employable, but can't find a job, they can't get insurance that covers
>their epilepsy! The subject about disability comes up in the group, why
>can't the subject of buying insurance concerning epilepsy come up in the
>group? In my situation, if I lost my job, I couldn't find insurance
>covering epilepsy. That means $11,500 a year out of my pocket for my meds.
>If all the going on's for a national insurance covering a pre existing
>condition, would cover me, how might it help or harm me? Do people prefer
>not talking about this subject concerning me and others with epilepsy? Or
>do people prefer this subject not talked about and pushed under the carpet,
>so we don't talk about it since it so much concerns living with epilepsy?
>Hmmm, I hear that spoken about in the group, how others treat them! For
>now I'm still employed, still do and always will have epilepsy. Insurance,
>well, for now I'm employed which gives me insurance. Do people not want to
>talk about nation health care now that might both help or harm insurance
>concerning people with epilepsy? Well, maybe people prefer not caring
>about people not on disability who have epilepsy who are working and now
>have insurance through work which does cover epilepsy. This national
>health care issue most definitely is a subject which should be discussed in
>this group since it concerns all of us not on disability. And with budget
>cuts in the years to come to balance the budget, who knows, might
>disability concerning epilepsy get affected, I haven't a clue since I
>haven't heard anybody mentioning it? I could use help from this epilepsy
>group concerning my possible future with the economy where it is and will
>be in the years to come! Take care, keep a smile on your face!
>
> Steve
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --- In epilepsy@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer E. Hyland"
> <thisismymagnathea@...> wrote:
>>
>> At least you have and can AFFORD to go to all these second, third,
>> fourth,
>> fifth, and so on doctors. It is very few people in this country who are
>> as
>> lucky as you are, Nedra. My mother is a board certified psychiatrist and
>> has
>> state health insurance whose premium is 10% of her income. And she STILL
>> can't get "second, third, fourth, fifth, and so on" opinions.
>>
>> You are lucky. The rest of us NEED public health care.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>
>> --
>> "If cognitive dissonance teaches us nothing else, it's that you have the
>> power to convince yourself." -my professor/advisor/mentor
>>
>> "You can't change the future; you can only change the present. But if you
>> change the present, then the future changes automatically." -my
>> professor/advisor/mentor
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:04, nedra3boys2001 <Nedra3boysI@...> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > HI,
>> > I am a political news junkie. I also know a lot about David Axelrod and
>> > his
>> > development of astroturfing ( creating of false sense of public ground
>> > swell
>> > of support for a concept or product, his company which specializes in
>> > this
>> > service, ect). I STRONLY AGREE with Michelle Malkin.
>> >
>> > Why? Because despite the fact that I have 3 special needs children and
>> > many
>> > major health issues myself, I do NOT want the government running my or
>> > my
>> > family health care. My son with uncontrolled seizures went to more than
>> > a
>> > half dozen neurologists. Most said take him to a psychiatrist, it is
>> > autism
>> > and not seizure and don't bother ever coming back here, stop those
>> > seizure
>> > meds. Except the head of a major ped hospital, that ped neuro wanted
>> > all the
>> > seizure meds except the one causing brain atrophy to CONTINUE not for
>> > seizure control, he said there were no seizures. He wanted it continued
>> > for
>> > mood reasons. And once other doctors heard he said that, they didn't
>> > seriously consider the case, head guy had spoken.
>> >
>> > So I don't want the government plan because I want to be able to go to
>> > get
>> > second, third, fourth, and more opinions because those other opinions
>> > saved
>> > my son from seizure more times than I can count. Those neuros were
>> > wrong. My
>> > son had a difficult case but they didn't want to hear it. I have
>> > closely
>> > followed the proposed plans and I would not have the options to go to
>> > other
>> > doctors. Also the number of doctors has a risk of dropping as do the
>> > selection of medications.
>> >
>> > So Malkin is right, Axelrod has a family story but to play it yet
>> > again,
>> > yes I have the Parade story, to get support for legislation that would
>> > affect MY FAMILY but not his makes me furious! They can rename the
>> > bill,
>> > mislead about states opting out ( yeah you still PAY FOR IT) but it
>> > will
>> > change medicine in this country and not for the better. I also have
>> > worked
>> > in the medical field and we need to tort reform and to be able to shop
>> > for
>> > insurance state to state. Those things are not being considered while
>> > taking
>> > over a major aspect of our lives is.
>> >
>> > So I am sorry for the suffering of the Axelrod family but not to the
>> > point
>> > of letting it ruin my family's medical care!!! He sure isn't letting my
>> > family's suffering alter his legislation! Where is HIS COMPASSION? Must
>> > have
>> > left that in Chicago.
>> >
>> > In Christ,
>> > Nedra 2 of 5,
>> > Borg Mom Resistance is Futile in finding what works for my kids with
>> > God's
>> > help
>> > Nick, 23, AS, ADHD, + CAPD
>> > Ben, 21, AS + ADHD
>> > Matt, 18, very AS, ADHD,+Complex Partial Seizures of the Temporo-
>> > Limbic
>> > region
>> >
>> > God knew there would be children with Autism - and in honor of them He
>> > made
>> >
>> > the planets in the solar system spin round and round, round and
>> > round.....
>> > Author, unknown
>> >
>> > and all the accomplishments of my family are a gift from God
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember
> to clean up messages when you reply to them. This is especially important
> if you are on digest. This not only helps out the list owner but, it
> makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Improve your business

by community exchange

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment