Saturday, October 3, 2009

RE: [epilepsy] WADA Testing

 

Tristan, Great post. Do you know if they do the WADA angiogram on children?
My 7 yr old has a left temporal tuber from Tuberous Sclerosis which has been
identified by PET, MRI and video EEG's as one area of seizure foci. However
we are concerned her speech may be affected if it is removed. The area in
question shows it has metastasized (sp) also. They "think" her speech has
migrated to somewhere else. We do NOT like that line of thinking and need
better information.

Pat D

_____

From: epilepsy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:epilepsy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Tristin Seagraves
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:18 AM
To: epilepsy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [epilepsy] Surgery to stop Seizures?

Hi Donna,
I had my surgery on Nov 12, 2008 (a left temporal lobectomy), and
I've been seizure-free since the surgery. Before the surgery I was on two
different AEDs (Keppra and Tegretol). Now I'm just on Tegretol.

I had to go through a lot of testing to find out if I was even a candidate
for the surgery. It all added up to about 6 months of testing, which
included numerous video EEGs, a neuropsychological test, MRIs, a PET scan,
depth electrodes and grid electrodes (inserted directly in and on the
brain), brain mapping, a WADA angiogram, etc. All of this testing is to
pinpoint the exact location of the seizures and also to make sure that area
of the brain doesn't control speech, language, memory, or motor skills.

From all of the tests, I'd have to say that the WADA angiogram was the
strangest.... not scary but just a little bit Sci-fi. During the WADA, they
insert a catheter into the artery in the most upper part of your leg (your
groin). This small catheter is sent all the way to your carotid arteries
(the arteries in your neck that supply blood to the brain). They then
inject dye into that artery to get a visual of the blood flow in your brain
(you'll be able to see exactly what they are doing on the screen beside
you). By the way... you're awake throughout this whole test.

After the dye, they then inject sodium amytal, by way of the catheter, into
one side of your brain. The sodium amytal puts that half of your brain to
sleep. You are then asked simple questions. After the sodim amytal wears
off, they will put the other side of your brain to sleep and ask more
questions. I guarantee you that you'll fail one test... either when they
inject the left or the right carotid artery. When they put the left side of
my brain to sleep, I answered the questions just fine, but when they
injected the right side, I couldn't answer any questions... I couldn't even
say my name... All I could do was laugh uncontrollably! This test is to
find out which side of your brain controls speech, language, and memory....
For most people it's usualy the left. Not for me though... I was in the
minority with this. I have right brain dominance.

For the surgery, I was in the hospital the whole month of November 08, and
for the first two weeks of that month, I was hooked up to video EEG every
second. The surgery only took about 4 hours. The only thing bad that came
from the surgery was a severe headache that lasted about two weeks. I was
given prescription pain meds for this. Also, I experienced a little bit of
vertigo..... every time I got up out of bed, I nearly feel flat on my face.
lol.

Okay, I think I've given you a good summary of what to expect. If you have
any questions, feel free to write back.

I hope it goes well,
Tristin Seagraves :)

--- On Fri, 10/2/09, DonnaM <moon_stargzr42@
<mailto:moon_stargzr42%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com> wrote:

From: DonnaM <moon_stargzr42@ <mailto:moon_stargzr42%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>
Subject: [epilepsy] Surgery to stop Seizures?
To: epilepsy@yahoogroup <mailto:epilepsy%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 9:49 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am thinking about surgery to stop or slow down my seizures all info
welcomed. Please explain what you had to go thru, before, during and after
the surgery.
Thanks
DonnaS-NH

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment