Friday, October 2, 2009

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Re: Watermelon Smoothie

 

Over time... since being diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) my ability to handle different foods has changed. At one time I had a problem with all fruit. Some of the meds I was on in the past also had a big effect on my overall food intake with some causing me to eat huge amounts of food or eat way too often.

I also began a high fiber diet about one year before being diagnosed with diabetes from a bout of diverticulitis... this has been a big help also in feeling better and having better control of my blood sugars.

I would crave protein but had difficulty finding good ways to incorporate it with the other limitations I now have. I have lower back, hip and knee, etc problems that limit my time standing and walking so cooking is interesting now. I use a stool in the kitchen to be able to cook and do dishes. I have a diabetes educator who phones once per month and she has been most helpful... she told me of mixing protein with fruit. I have discovered I now can eat fruit and crave it instead of other diabetic friendly desserts. I use low carb whey protein powder (comes in different flavors) and this seems to balance the fruits for me. It can be added to water but I have added it to the diet fruit juice from Ocean Spray, FF milk, or even plain non fat yogurt with sweetener and flavor from extracts like almond, strawberry, etc.

Consider what else is in the meal plan when having the fruit so that you do not have more carbs, etc than your body can handle at one time.

Hope this helps you to find a way to enjoy more in your yummy foods list... but most importantly we are all different... so take your needs into consideration and if you for some reason do not handle any food well... then be cautious or just omit from your diet... difficult... yes... but better than the complications that might arise later.

Take care,
Gloria

--- In Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com, "dawndodge2001" <dawndo4@...> wrote:
>
> Sounds good Gloria! Do you find that it impacts your blood sugar very much though? I have always heard that it's high on the Glycemic Index though and have stayed away from it a little bit because of that. Maybe the protein in the milk counters it?
>
> D.
>
> --- In Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com, "Chef Gloria 1030" <chefgloria1030@> wrote:
> >
> > Watermelon Smoothie - 13g Carbs, 0.6g Fiber, 10.9g Sugar
> >
> > From: Doctor's Book of Food Remedies VIA Prevention
> >
> > Transform a summer fruit favorite into a drinkable delight. Just
> > remember to buy seedless watermelon or remove the seeds before you blend!
> >
> > Prep Time: 4 min
> > Cook Time: 0 min
> > Total Time: 4 min
> > Serves: 2
> >
> > 2 cups chopped watermelon
> > 1/4 cup fat-free milk
> > 2 cups ice
> >
> > 1. In a blender, combine the watermelon and milk, and blend for
> > 15 seconds, or until smooth. Add the ice, and blend 20 seconds
> > longer, or to your desired consistency. Add more ice, if needed,
> > and blend for 10 seconds.
> >
> > Serves: 2
> > Nutrition per Serving:
> > 56 Calories, 0.3g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 0.6mg Cholesterol, 19.5mg Sodium, 13g Carbs, 0.6g Dietary Fiber, 10.9g Total Sugars, 2g Protein

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Mental Health

Learn More

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Love cars? Check out the

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Kids, family & home

Join the discussion

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment