Friday, October 2, 2009

[fast5] Re: Empowerment

 

Great post! Thanks for sharing, I like seeing other people's successes. It's been the same way for me, and I am grateful for many of the same things.. :)

--- In fast5@yahoogroups.com, "anusarabetty" <anusarabetty@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone, I wanted to share a little Fast-5 epiphany I had recently. (This is long, because I'm tragically verbose, so many apologies for that :) .)
>
> I follow the F5 eating plan, but not terribly strictly. I'm lucky to not have a life-altering amount of weight to lose, but my lack of awareness of my own diet had made me develop over the years some very unhealthy emotional eating habits, and a nasty sugar addiction. I latched on to the F5 plan because of what the guide said about limbic hunger, and the way fasting helps reboot your brain to disrupt that destructive reward system. Plus, I'm a research psychologist with background in physiology, so I was immediately wooed by the fact that every single biological principle Dr. Herring reported was actually true! (Do you know how rare that is in popular science? Extremely!)
>
> So I tried it. It was hard. My friends thought I was crazy, my stomach thought I was trying to torture it into submission, and I had to completely rearrange my schedule to plan for this new meal window. But I stuck with it - because I am nothing if not stubborn - and I fell into a great routine with a window of 4-9pm. I felt great, I was proud of myself - so of course, I started to think that maybe I didn't need to be so strict about it; I could just stick with the general principles and not worry if my eating window was 6 or 7 hours, or if I didn't fast on weekends.
>
> So I backed off of the plan for a little while. But then, the weirdest thing started happening - I would fall back to fasting during the day, without really intending to. I would restrict my eating window because I wanted to, without having to force myself. At breakfast, I just wouldn't be hungry, so I wouldn't eat - and then I wouldn't be hungry at lunch, either. I wouldn't feel the need to de-stress by grabbing a Twix, because I had already learned alternative management techniques from F5. By just doing what felt best to my body and mind, I found myself sticking to a Fast-5 plan more easily than ever before.
>
> My point is that the greatest thing I get out of F5 has nothing to do with weight loss, and everything to do with empowerment. Before, my life was so limited by eating food - I couldn't exercise comfortably within so many hours of a meal, I needed 6 meals a day or I'd feel anxious, and I spent countless hours counting calories, keeping food diaries, and beating myself up over failing to meet my diet goals. Now, F5 has shown me I actually CAN do everything I used to take for granted that I couldn't. It's proven to me that I am strong enough to resist, and given me the tools to do so. It's shown me the remarkable flexibility and resilience of my own body, and taught me how to listen to it rather than the misguided instructions from our culture.
>
> I'm writing this because I'm keeping a gratitude journal at the moment, so I just wanted to say that this is why I'm grateful for Fast-5.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment