Thursday, March 31, 2011

Re: [epilepsy] Re: three years

 

Steve,

I am not actually seizure free. I have about 2 a month, but compared to
multiple seizures a day, I'll take it!

As far as changes, I know I lost at least 14 IQ points. My short term
memory is definitely affected. It took me over 2 years to adjust to the
emotional side effects of having my amigdula removed, I now know what I
can and cannot handle, and what situations to avoid or walk away from.
Some people get upset at me because I walk away, but I knwo fi I don't I
can get really mad. I also have pretty bad concentration issues. I get
distracted really easy, put that with short term memory issues and it's
a yucky combination. I have to make notes and lists for everything. My
computer and Droid help me keep track of things. I have also developed
light sensitivity issues, so I have to wear tinted glasses all of the time.

Put the concentration issues and short term memory together, and I have
decided I won't drive again even if I do become seizure free. I know
that my distraction issues would make me unsafe! I am also still on
Trileptal and Lyrica, but I did go off of Topamax which is awesome! The
Lyrica also helps me with pain issues.

Kelly

On 3/31/2011 5:13 PM, Steve wrote:
> Hi Kelly,
>
> Conratulations on being seizure free 3 years now (smile). Just wondering, in what ways have you noticed changes in you because of surgery?
>
> I had a LTL 4 years 5 months ago and I'm still seizure free. Tests show my cognitive abilities didn't get worse but I aware they did. I by my choice, decided not to reduce me mess. Because I feel they are a back up if a seizure trys to come through.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to sign your post and remember to clean up messages when you reply to them.  This is especially important if you are on digest.  This not only helps out the list owner but, it makes messages much easier to read when they arrive in our inboxes.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment