Sunday, July 24, 2011

Re: [fast5] Re: Question about Communion

 

I appreciate you thinking of me, but actually I'm not Catholic: you are probably addressing the person who asked the question. Also, I have celiac, and that truly interferes with social events way more than Fast-5. One of the reasons I do Fast-5 is to feel more comfortable during social events, so I don't have to eat anything, because eating anything is likely to make me sick for the next few days. The celiacs who are trying to figure out communion have their own dialog going on right now, which is way more complicated than Fast-5.


So mostly I pass on what other people share, in terms of communion. Not everyone who takes communion is Catholic, and the amount of bread etc. varies with the church. So does the attitude toward what communion really is or means. My general take on Fast-5 in relation to all this is what I said: it probably won't make a difference, and if it does, change the window. Experiment!


On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Carla J. Hanson <ChristeEleison@msn.com> wrote:


Dear Heather,

I realize this is partly outside the scope of the Fast-5 discussion group, but as a fellow Catholic, I just wanted to send out a reminder of what you probably already know--that once the bread and wine are consecrated, the accidents (including the calories) are still there, but that's no longer bread and wine we're talking about, but the body and blood of Christ and not bread or wine at all.  So the calories are there, but honestly, given what an amazing gift it is to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion, I'd either just not worry about the fact that it is outside your 5-hour eating zone (that's what I do) or change the 5-hour eating zone to begin during Mass if you like, since we are to fast for an hour before receiving Communion anyway.  Personally, I have not noticed that receiving Holy Communion causes any limbic hunger at all.

Peace in Christ,
Carla





 
 
 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment